Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cheap Dates

Click for more graphics at Soge Shirts



A friend called me about an interesting scenario last night~

He relayed that a friend of his had met a great girl recently and they had a great date. They even kissed halfway through! Go Cupid!

Things were moving along swimmingly until the guy asked the server if coupons were accepted (he had a coupon for a free desert).

The girl agreed to another date but called two days later to cancel and specifically mentioned the coupon thing as the reason. The guys were dismayed that this girl would be so judgmental as to cancel a date with someone that she clearly liked over the use of a coupon.

The way it was handled seemed harsh to me, but I could also understand where this girl was coming from - at least to a degree. I figure a first real date, beyond your basic meet and greet over a cup of coffee, is the time when you want to impress the person you're with. If someone is using a coupon on the first date they either a) don't have a job or b) are just going to get more and more stingy as time goes on. Neither one of those scenarios bodes well for a long-term connection (at least for me).

Where do you stand on this? How long do you have to be dating before using a coupon at a restaurant would be ok?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll dish. First date, we meet at a coffee bar. We paid separately, which is fine. He asked if I'd like to grab a bite to eat, and pointed to a really nice restaurant just down the street. Wow- I must be in the process of knocking his socks off, because that was not a first-date sort of restaurant. We were seated, and in a very dramatic voice, he said "I can tell you that everything here is wonderful. Please, order anything you'd like. Anything." Um, ok. Still, since it's really just the continuation of a first date, I headed for the low end of the menu- which really wasn't all that low. He ordered, and not from the lower priced entrees. The meal was amazing. Conversation, not really so much. In short, I was beginning to become bored with all of the stories of amazing things he'd done for other people - I mean, how many burning buildings can a passerby notice before the firemen arrive? Oh well, whatever. The waiter came to ask if we wanted dessert, and when we both declined, waiter asked if he should bring the bill. "No, thank you, please bring two bills." I tried really hard not to look surprised, since after all, I didn't ask first. However, I am not accustomed to spending the week's grocery money on haute cuisine. Anyway, I sucked it up, grabbed my card and handed it over to the waiter. A few minutes later, he came back and informed my date that his card had declined the charge, and asked if he'd like to try another card. Before I could raise even one eyebrow, he turned to the waiter and said,"I'm sure my date won't mind putting it on her card, since I don't have any cash with me." Now, I should have told the waiter not to charge my card and I should have left, but I ended up paying for a meal I really couldn't afford because I was too embarrassed to make a scene. Last date for Mr. Chivalry, though, and when I got our total bill, it was heavily discounted. At least the waiter was a sweetheart.

Show me some love - sign my guestbook~

About Me

My photo
I have seen and experienced so much craziness in my short time of on-line dating that I just couldn't hold it inside anymore. Your stories are always welcome! Misery loves company!