Monday, July 14, 2008

Go take a hike!

Hi Everyone~

I'm back for my first post after a long drawn out adjustment to my move. Life has taken many twists and turns for me this past month - many positive ones but they're causing me to step back and reconsider my grad school undertakings and possibly move in a new direction. In turn, I may be reversing my recent move from my house into a small apartment. It's a bit unorthodox, but I'm trying to just go with it.

On the dating front, I have to say that things have not been so positive. So, I decided to give a nice guy a chance and boy, did he turn out to be a jerk! I'll be honest, the sex wasn't great from the beginning and I had my doubts about our compatability. He was a nice guy, though, and I decided to remain open to the possibility of passion growing.

As a reward, I was treated to two drawn out descriptions of how his mother would never accept anyone who was divorced, especially if they had a child. So, me, a divorced single parent for 16 years who formerly dated women clearly had no chance of meeting those expectations. Besides that, this man is 50 years old! If you're still trying to please your mother at 50, something is seriously wrong!

One of the interests we shared, though was hiking. Over the past couple of years, I've had a hard time finding anyone who has been interested in doing some serious hiking and backpacking with me. So, despite my doubts about this guy, I wasn't going to turn down an opportunity to do a 2.5 day backpacking trip on the Long Trail in Vermont.

Last week I had two consecutive days off for the first time since April. The backpacking trip was planned and off we went. After our arrival in VT, the first three hours went well. We hiked up Bromley and back down with packs and made great time. I lagged a little, but mostly, we stayed together on the trail and enjoyed eachother's company. If only the hike had ended there!

I spent the rest of that day and all of the next hiking alone, save for a "check-in" by my companion once an hour. We were carrying 50 lb packs and hiked two intense peaks and then a steep rocky, muddy and slippery downhill. My "companion" would stop an wait for me once an hour and then as soon as I would reach him, he'd stand up and start off again. I've done a bit of hiking and this has to be some of the roughest terrain I've encountered so far. In addition, I chose the wrong boots to wear and exacerbated a foot injury, so I hiked the last three hours in quite a bit of pain.

On the second day, I suggested that if this guy really wanted to cover a lot of miles at a quick pace, he shouldn't bother to wait for me once an hour and should just proceed ahead and wait for me at the end. He quipped back that he could use the rests that he was able to get as he waited for me to catch up!

Two days and 17 miles of hiking essentially by myself was not the way I had envisioned this trip to play out!

On the way home I tried to inquire about how this guy had hiked with others in the past. He complained that he had not found anyone that could keep up with him and how disappointed he was. He then patted my leg and told me that if I lost a few pounds I might be able to hike a bit faster!!!! If I wasn't so exhausted I would have hopped out right then!

Of course, I did not stay over when we reached his house and he accused me of finding an excuse for storming off. The next day he sent me an IM trying to justify his comment. This guy is completely clueless!!!!

I'll admit, I'd like to lose some weight. Ten pounds would be great and 20 would make me ecstatic! On the other hand, I dare anyone to find another 42 year old woman who can hike 17 miles in two days wearing a 50 lb pack and who doesn't complain or break down crying! I don't care what speed I completed the hike at - I completed it and still went for a run the next day!

Unbelievably, this guy has contacted me several times since we got back to try to get together! Finally last night I explained that the trip was a huge disappointment and that it just didn't give me the vibe that we were compatible. I'm not sure he really got it. Good luck and good riddance! I wish there was some way to warn the next woman before she gets sucked in by the initial "nice guy" facade!

Oh - one more thing - I have a terrible case of poison ivy (Pete - remember that movie??!) on my arms this week because of this guys dogs running around off the trail and all through the brush for the entire 17 miles. I love dogs - but this time, the hugs and love I gave them left me with an itchy reminder of this rotten hike!

Add to Technorati Favorites



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do recall that one,
in fact, thanks to you, I now have a vision of Drew Barrymore and Tom Skerritt 'bumpin ulgies'.....

Not a pretty sight.

Well all I really have to add to this is:

" I have not seen you for a while,
but the last time I did, you looked pretty darn good to me,
(yes, I've said that before)
so I would not lose any thing"

and good to have you back,
I missed the posts.

Dating Wall of Shame said...

Danielle~I suffer from the inability to think of those things right in the moment - the truth is - the size of his dick truly WAS the problem! Of course I thought about it the next day, but I figured it would be bad karma to make someone else feel bad about their body in retaliation for them making me feel bad about mind. Sometimes this zen stuff can really get in the way of a good insult!

Pete - I can always count on you to back me up - thanks~

Erika - I couldn't have said it better myself!

Show me some love - sign my guestbook~

About Me

My photo
I have seen and experienced so much craziness in my short time of on-line dating that I just couldn't hold it inside anymore. Your stories are always welcome! Misery loves company!